Friday, June 18, 2010

But It's with Darrell!


I don't shop at that-big-chain-store-that-shall-not-be-named. In general, I don't like the concept of big-box stores, and hate the experience of shopping in them even more. I try to keep my sales tax money and my purchasing at local businesses when I can. When I can't find items locally, I buy online and have my purchases conveniently delivered to my porch.

Imagine my chagrin when I was asked, with only sixteen hours notice, to drive three hours each way to a different city to be audition for that-big-chain-store-that-shall-not-be-named commercial. My initial reaction was to do like Nancy Reagan urged, and just say no. Then I read the script and saw that the commercial will be with Darrell, the current commercial spokesman for that-big-chain-store-that-shall-not-be-named. I love that guy. He exudes charm and humor. He nails the delivery. He makes me turn the sound back on during his commercials and actually watch.

I rearranged my schedule, memorized the commercial script, and drove three hours each way (uphill both ways) for that audition. The casting lady for this audition, who just happens to be my favorite casting lady, said I did a good job, but it's been over forty-eight hours with no news. And you remember that no news (all together now) is bad news for professional actors.

Oh well. I won't get to meet Darrell, but I also won't endorse a place I don't want to endorse.

Disclaimer: If by some miracle, I do land the commercial, I'll be deleting this blog post faster than ice cream melts on a hot day in Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment